A pump is a machine used to move, compress, or transfer water. There are a number of different types of pumps available: jet pumps, centrifugal pumps, gear pumps, peristaltic pumps, gravity pumps, and impulse pumps. All of them are useful across a number of different industries. For use in daily life, the most commonly used category of pump is the water pump of the centrifugal variety.
Water pumps are a vital tool for various residential, light commercial or agricultural jobs and especially in rural areas, it can play a critical role. A water pump can drain water from a basement or shallow flooded areas, drain and fill a swimming pool or dam, or alternatively can also be utilised in the irrigation needed for agriculture.
The main function of Water pumps is to get rid of excess water or transfer water between two points.. Water pumps fall into 2 different categories which are centrifugal pumps and the positive displacement design type.
Centrifugal Water Pump
The purpose of these pumps is to move water into the pump and pressurise the discharge flow using its rotating impeller. It works especially well with a thin and high flow rate of liquid. All types of liquids, even low viscosity fluids can be pumped. Centrifugal Water Pumps are generally used in:
- Buildings – used to pump the water supply including the pneumatic systems and places where suction lift is not required.
- Boost Application – a booster pump is used to boost pressure coming from the intake line
- Wells – used in domestic water supply systems
- Fire Protection System – makes sure that continuous water source is available
- Hot-water circulation – used to move water in a closed system where low head is required
- Sump Pits – either horizontal or vertical water pump is used wherein it is operated by an automatic switch that is controlled by the float.
Positive Displacement Design Type Water Pump
These pumps are ideal in various industries where both sensitive solids as well as high viscosity liquids are present. It is used to deliver fixed amounts of flow during mechanical contraction and expansion of a flexible diaphragm. It removes air from the lines eliminating the need to bleed the air from the lines. This type of pump is highly recommended to applications where there is low flow and high flow combination.
Other Types and Applications of Water Pumps
- Vehicle Water Pump – a vehicle water pump is used to regulate the water flow using the vehicle’s cooling system.
- Well Water Pump – a well water pump is used in home or businesses. It main purpose is to draw the water up from the ground for use in sinks and bathrooms.
- Pressure Tank Water Pump – a pressure pump is used for the regulation of water pressure that controls the water in places like homes or businesses.
At Pumps2you we have a wide variety of pumps to suit your needs whether that be a dab water pump, borehole pump or drinking water pumps. Whatever you need we are confident we can help find the right product to suit your need.